Saturday, November 26, 2005

software in healthcare

Why?
Good question. I have mixed feelings about software in any environment (heresy for a developer/architect). I should qualify that. I have resevations about lots of software in healthcare. Is it fundimentally wrong, or the saviour of healthcare? Probably neither. At the heart of it software is brilliant if it serves a purpose and makes life better/easier/safer...
I went along to the BCHIMPS talk a few weeks ago and listen to a guy from the NHS in the UK talk about software and healthcare. Two things came across that I agree with very deeply.

1. Software is only a tool in healthcare. It should never be forgotten that the purpose is to serve patients
2. Data belongs to the patient. Simple and obvious but theres alot of confusion and disagreement on that point.

As far as software in clinical settings goes, I think it can be a huge benefit as long as it serves rather than confuses. Or as a nurse friend pointed out to me; theres alot of nurses who will retire soon and have no desire to hav to learn new software. Good point I thought!

So my own personal crusade is to help technologists remember the software is only a tool. Its the application that matters.

1 Comments:

At 11:10 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Yes, yes, I completely agree. The focus on software as a tool should be front and center in all industries. In commercial settings, technologists should always remain focused on using technology to add business value and must understand that technology endeavors need to be balanced with commercial needs/realities. With regards to nurses with no desire to learn new software, there neeeds to be a balance. There are many situations where new software will make things better/easier/safer, yet there are many users out there who push back because they are resistent to change.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home